Carbon Monoxide: Statistics

Here you’ll find research, statistics and references for further information on Carbon Monoxide.

 

TREATMENT

  • Four people are treated for carbon monoxide poisoning in English hospitals every day
  • Of the 1,798 people who attended A&E departments with suspected CO poisoning, 1,563 (87 per cent) required treatment, with more than one in five (367) requiring hospitalisation
  • Of those who received treatment, 360 were children, 192 were aged over 60 and 174 were aged 18-25 year olds
CORGI HomePlan Freedom of Information request to English A&E departments, July 2014-June 2015
To access the full data, based on 123 responses from A&E departments received in June 2015 click here

 

NUMBERS AFFECTED

  • 1 in 10 adults in Britain have experienced carbon monoxide poisoning to some degree in their home
  • 1 in 11 know someone who has been poisoned
  • This means that 1m Brits have, or know someone who has, fallen victim
  • Those surveyed were able to identify the key symptoms of CO poisoning – with nausea (51%), headache (47%), dizziness (54%), confusion (38%), tiredness (60%) and loss of consciousness (84%) all correctly highlighted
CORGI HomePlan survey of 2,000 homeowners in May 2015.
To access the full data, click here

 

HOUSEHOLDS AT RISK

  • One in 9 boilers classified as unsafe (Gas Safe Register, 2015)
  • This means a minimum of 2.27m homes are leaving themselves at risk of being exposed to the silent killer
  • Only 54 per cent of people who have their domestic gas appliances serviced annually
  • 49% do not have a carbon monoxide alarm

CORGI HomePlan survey of 2,000 homeowners in May 2015

To access the full data, click here

RECOGNISING THE SYMPTOMS

  • 28% incorrectly believe you can smell carbon monoxide
  • 43% do not know how the gas is created
  • 10% don’t know that appliances burning with a yellow (rather than blue) flame would give cause for concern
  • The following percentage incorrectly believe a symptom of carbon monoxide is:
    • blurred vision (30%)
    • cough (22%)
    • streaming eyes (9%)
    • stomach pains (6%)

CORGI HomePlan survey of 2,000 homeowners in May 2015

To access the full data, click here

RISK WHEN CAMPING / CARAVANNING

  • 45% have cooked in a tent or awning
  • 20% have used a fuel burning appliance to heat their tent
  • 17% of people have brought a charcoal or gas BBQ inside the tent
  • Only 13% of all campers and caravanners take carbon monoxide alarms with them
  • Only 13% of people have ever had their camping and caravanning gas appliances serviced

CORGI HomePlan survey of 2,000 homeowners in June 2015

To access the full data, click here

RECENT TRAGEDIES IN HOLIDAY RESORTS

  • In September 2015, a father died at a holiday chalet in the Scottish borders from a carbon monoxide leak, while his wife and son were overcome by fumes and left critically injured.
  • The parents of two children, who died while on holiday in Corfu after a boiler leaked carbon monoxide in their hotel, have launched the Safer Tourism Foundation, with the support of MPs from all parties, to raise awareness of travel risks, in particular the dangers of carbon monoxide.
  • A retired couple were found dead in their static caravan at a holiday park in Northern Ireland after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning in January 2015.
  • In 2013, a family of three were found dead in a caravan in Camborne, Cornwall.
  • Nearby in Devon the same summer, a young girl, died from CO poisoning while camping in Devon after a stove was left burning inside her tent.
  • In May 2012, a teenager died at a campsite in Bucknell, Shropshire, when a portable barbecue was placed in her tent to keep her warm.
  • Also in 2012, a six-year-old tragically died in similar circumstances.