Boilers & Central Heating


Know the dangers

Boilers & Central Heating

Know the dangers

Know the dangers of boilers and central heating

A badly fitted or maintained boiler and central heating or gas appliance is a serious hazard to you and your family. If left unchecked, this can result in carbon monoxide poisoning, fires and even explosions.

In the last three years, an estimated one in nine homes inspected by the Gas Safe Register has been found to have an unsafe gas appliance and one in eleven has an unsafe boiler.*

A faulty boiler, or one that has a blocked or leaky flue, can release a poisonous gas called carbon monoxide (CO). Breathing in carbon monoxide can make you unwell and being exposed to high concentrations can be fatal.

Prevention is crucial. You should always ensure that a Gas Safe registered engineer carries out any installations or maintenance of gas appliances.

As a backup, make sure audible carbon monoxide alarms are fitted near any gas appliances. When purchasing an alarm, make sure it carries a British or European approval mark, such as a Kitemark. It’s important that it is installed, checked and serviced in line with the manufacturer’s guidelines.

As well as the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO), a gas leak from your central heating can cause a fire or explosion. This can result in catastrophic consequences. In June 2012, one gas blast on a street in Oldham, Greater Manchester, completely flattened three terraced houses and killed a child.

Knowing the dangers of a badly fitted boiler is an important part of keeping you and your family safe. Always look out for signs of general wear and tear or improperly fitted gas appliances.

We’ve provided you with some information below that will help keep your gas system working safely and efficiently. There’s also details on what to do if a problem occurs and who to call.

When to call the experts

  • If you smell gas you need to act quickly. Immediately stop using all your cooking and heating appliances, gas and electric. Make sure the room is well ventilated by opening all doors and windows.
  • If you have access to your gas isolation valve turn it a quarter turn so the lever is at 90 degrees to the upright gas pipe. You should then ring the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999.
  • If you suspect you or anyone in your house has inhaled carbon monoxide it is important that you get fresh air immediately; if safe, turn off the appliance and leave the house. Visit your GP or go to the hospital as soon as possible – let them know that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • If you think you are in danger ring the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999.

What CORGI HomePlan can do

We provide 24/7 support to our customers with trained technicians on the end of the phone in our UK call centre. If it’s not possible to fix your problem over the phone, we’ll dispatch an engineer. In the event of an emergency (an uncontrolled water leak), we aim to have someone with you within two hours. For other faults, we’ll do our best to have someone with you within 24 hours of your call. Our network has over 5,000 Gas Safe registered engineers, plumbers and electricians across the U.K. helping us get to you quicker.

CORGI HomePlan take safety seriously. We include an annual boiler service in all of our HomePlans to help keep your boiler working safely and efficiently.

We operate a manufacturer and manufacturer approved new parts only policy on all repairs, so you can rest easy knowing you’re in safe hands.

 

* Public sector information published by the Health and Safety Executive and licensed under the Open Government Licence.