Cookers & Gas Fires


Know the dangers

Cookers & Gas Fires

Know the dangers

Know the dangers of cookers and gas fires

Gas cookers and fires are a fast and efficient way for you to cook and heat your home. However, just like every other gas appliance, you’ll need to keep a close eye that it is working safely and efficiently.

Gas cookers

There are several warning signs that your cooker may be leaking carbon monoxide:

  • The flame on your cooker should be crisp and blue. Yellow or orange flames mean you need to get your cooker checked.
  • Dark sooty staining around the cooker.
  • The flame on the cooker frequently goes out.
  • Increased condensation inside windows.
  • To be alert to the danger signs, check the seal around your oven door regularly for any signs of splitting or damage.

Avoid grilling with the grill compartment door fully closed as this can lead to a build-up of carbon monoxide, although most gas grills will automatically shut off gas when closed.

If your cooker’s ignition button begins to become faulty you need to get it checked. Do not let this go unchecked and have it replaced by an engineer who is Gas Safe registered as soon as possible.

Always remove any combustible materials from the cooker or hotplate area to minimise fire risk.

Gas fires

The major risks of a faulty gas fire are the same as those of a gas cooker – gas leaks, carbon monoxide and explosions.

To be alert to the danger signs make sure you check your gas fire for stains, soot or discolouring around the top. Similar to your cooker, the flame on your fire should burn blue. If it’s yellow or orange get it checked as soon as possible.

The main risk of gas fires is carbon monoxide (CO). To help stay safe in your home, ensure your fire has plenty of ventilation, with unobstructed vents. Gas fires produce a lot of heat. Keep anything combustible well clear of the fireplace and consider getting a safety screen to avoid accidents.

Make sure you service your appliances every year. That will help make sure that any problems are found and rectified quickly. Have a carbon monoxide and a smoke alarm fitted in your home. All your alarms need to be checked regularly too.

When you need to call the experts

  • If you smell gas you need to act quickly. Immediately stop using all your cooking and heating appliances, gas and electric and make sure the room is well ventilated.
  • If you’ve access to your gas isolation valve turn it a quarter turn so the lever is at 90 degrees to the upright gas pipe. Ring the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999 and report the leak.
  • If you suspect you or anyone in your home has inhaled carbon monoxide it is important that you get fresh air immediately. If safe, turn off the appliance and leave the house. Visit your GP or go to the hospital as soon as possible letting them know that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Ring the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999 if you think you are in danger.

CORGI HomePlan doesn’t provide cover for gas appliances or fires, but if you smell gas you should phone the National Gas Emergency Service 0800 111 999 straight away.

 

Do you know the dangers in your home? Find out how you can help keep your electrics safe.