We recently carried out research that uncovered a shocking lack of safety checks being carried out by home buyers.
And with 1.2million* property transactions taking place in the UK each year, this means 800,000 homes are at risk of a life-threatening gas incident, such as a carbon monoxide leak, or expensive repairs to boilers, fires, radiators and cookers.
The research revealed that we’re all fairly poor at checking the safety of our homes before we move in, but the infographic below shows you just how each region fared, from London to the Highlands and everywhere in between.
Our researched revealed:
- Scottish home buyers were the least home-safe conscious with 73 per cent of respondents having no gas safety checks carried out before deciding to purchase a home.
- Wales was the safest region, with nearly eight in 10 respondents having a Gas Safe registered engineer check out their property before moving in.
- Londoners were least safety-conscious, with just 38 per cent from the capital arranging checks with a professional before moving in.
- Astonishingly, half of those living in the North East of England have carried out their own boiler check rather than hiring a professional.
- In the East Midlands, 60 per cent didn’t believe it was necessary to have a gas safety engineer check their appliances before moving into a new home.
It’s pretty clear that there is a worrying lack of knowledge around what homeowners are entitled to when they move into a home, so we’ve pulled together a quick list of ‘must-do’s so you can spend your pennies wisely. Read our top tips here.