My Family Week – Corgi HomePlan – How Safe Is Your Home

My Family Week

This week marks My Family Week in the UK, which acknowledges that families come in all shapes and sizes and that we should support and celebrate all their differences and keep each other safe.

More accidents happen in the home than anywhere else. Every year there are approximately 6,000 deaths as the result of a home accident. Taking the time to find out about some common causes of accidents in the family household and the simple steps you can take to prevent them could be one of the most important things you do for your loved ones.

With that in mind we’ve come up with a few top tips to keep your family safe.

Play It Safe

It may seem obvious but playing with your children and the rest of the family is how they learn. However, we need to be vigilant with our little ones even when they are in a safe and playful environment to prevent any accidents.

By making sure that you play with your children you can pick up on any potentially dangerous behaviour and nip it in the bud before it causes any serious problems later down the line.

Beady Eyed Bathtimes

Whilst family bathtime is fun for most children, it can also present a serious hazard. Babies’ skin is much thinner than adults’ and therefore they are much more susceptible to scalding from water that is too hot.

Water is a danger for young children as well as babies as it only takes 3 centimetres of water for them to drown and it can happen very quickly. To make sure your family bathtimes are as safe as possible, make sure you are always paying attention to your child and check the water temperature.

Bath seats are a great way to be hands free whilst bathing your little ones but they can also provide a false sense of security, they should still never be left unattended. Never let yourself be tempted to answer the phone or the door whilst your baby is in the bath unless you have another member of the family on hand that can take over supervising your baby.

Carbon Monoxide Kills

Children and the elderly are most at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning, as it is a colourless, odourless and deadly gas. Carbon monoxide can be emitted from any gas appliance in your home e.g. boiler, ovens, wood burner and gas fire.

It is very hard to spot the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning as they often present much like the flu; dizziness, nausea, headaches and tiredness. So it is vital that you have an alarm fitted on every floor of your home to protect your household. To help protect your whole family make sure you inform elderly parents or relatives of the dangers of carbon monoxide and help them fit an alarm in their home, especially as they are most at risk.

Read more on how to spot the signs of carbon monoxide here.

Curious Children

A child’s early years is when they are most inquisitive. The main way they explore the world is through their mouths. They will pick up anything they can and put it in their mouth. This goes for anything – food, soft furnishings and little bits, all of these can very quickly become a choking hazard.

No matter how sharp or heavy these things are, children have a habit of trying to pick things up that are in their reach and therefore they pose a risk of serious injury and unwanted accidents.