Top tips for CO safety on holiday

Whether you are camping or caravanning this summer, we’ve put together a checklist of tips to keep your family safe on holiday.

  1. Don’t use a barbecue inside your tent, awning, caravan or motorhome. The smouldering coals of a barbecue release poisonous carbon monoxide (CO), which can kill.
  2. Remember – barbecues give off carbon monoxide during use, and may continue to do so for some while after use.
  3. Do not move a barbecue into a confined space until it is extinguished and has cooled down and NEVER use a lit or extinguished (but still warm) barbecue as a source of heating in a tent or awning.
  4. It is not safe to cook inside your tent or awning as there may be inadequate ventilation and there’s also the risk of fire.
  5. Always ensure there is adequate ventilation when using your caravan or motorhome cooker.
  6. Always check there are no obstructions covering ventilators.
  7. Never use a gas, petrol or diesel-powered generator inside a caravan, motorhome, tent or awning.
  8. Never use fuel-burning appliances such as refrigerator, gas-powered heaters or lamps inside a tent or awning.
  9. It is vitally important to have gas appliances serviced and tested annually.
  10. A carbon monoxide (CO) alarm is a good idea. Choose a ‘Type B’ alarm that complies with the BS EN 50291 standard, and install it 1-3m (measured horizontally) from any potential source of carbon monoxide, but not directly above a source of heat or steam.